My friends joke about how much soup I make and how much I love it. It’s kinda my thing. 🙂 So, don’t be surprised when this blog starts looking like a database of awesome soups…it’s going to happen!
Today’s is my momma’s Taco Soup. It also freezes super well, so consider doubling up and throwing one batch in your freezer for later.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 packet (1 ½ tbsp.) dry ranch mix
- 1 packet (3 tbsp.) taco seasoning
- 1 15 oz. can chili beans
- 1 15 oz. can corn, drained
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Water to desired consistency (I use 4 c.)
Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Turn IP to Sauté and add ground beef. Cook until nearly done then add garlic, onions and peppers and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add everything else, stir, close lid, set valve to Seal, and cook on Soup or 30 minutes manual high.
- Brown ground beef on stove top.
- In crockpot, add 1 cup water, taco, and ranch seasonings to crockpot, and mix well.
- Add everything else and additional water to your desired consistency (approx 2-3 cups). Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- In a soup pot, cook ground beef until nearly done. Then add garlic, onion and peppers and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water, taco and ranch seasonings, and mix well.
- Add everything else and additional water to your desired consistency (approx 2-3 cups).
- Simmer until heated through.
Notes & Modifications
Gluten Free. Check the ingredients in your ranch mix and seasoning.
Dairy Free. As above if you get dairy-free dry ranch.
Vegetarian. Not today.
Yield: 8 servings; Serving size: approx. 1 c.
Calories: 280; Fat: 10g; Carbohydrates: 21g; Protein: 27g
MFP Listing: MacroEd Taco Soup
BONUS RECIPE: Homemade Taco Seasoning
- ½ c. + 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2.5 tsp. garlic powder
- 2.5 tsp. onion powder
- 2.5 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2.5 tsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp. + 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ c. + 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1.5 tsp. (more to taste) salt
- 3 tbsp. + 1 tsp. pepper
How to use your Homemade Taco Seasoning:
Add 2-3 tbsp. of taco seasoning and ½ c. water to each pound of meat to season for tacos.
Simmer until most of the liquid evaporates.
Also use in Taco Soup.
YIELD: 24 tbsp.
BONUS RECIPE: Dry Ranch Mix
- 1/3 c. powdered non-fat dry milk
- 2 tsp. dried onion flakes
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1.5 tsp. dill weed
- 2 tbsp. parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. dried chives
How to use your Dry Ranch Mix:
3 Tablespoons of this mix = 1 packet of the store-bought seasoning mix.
To make ranch dressing: combine 1 Tbsp. seasoning mix with 1/3 cup Greek yogurt or mayo and 1/3 cup milk or water, and whisk to combine.
Use in Buffalo Dip or Cheeseburger Pie.
YIELD: 10 tbsp.
SERVING: 1 tbsp.
November 18, 2019
November 12, 2019
October 18, 2019