Things I love: Pizza.
Things my body (and my pants’ waistband) does NOT love: Pizza.
I’m a firm believer that you should not give up the things you love when you’re trying to eat healthier. It sets you up for cravings…then obsession…then binging. It’s a bad deal all the way around.
I believe you can and should find hacks for the things you love that fit into your new healthier lifestyle. Pizza chicken is exactly that for many of my friends.
It’s good for you, but it also has all the great flavors you’re looking for in pizza. I hope it will be the perfect workaround for your pizza cravings and a new staple in your house on pizza nights!
2 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied
2 tsp. olive oil
6 oz. can tomato paste
8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp. oregano, separated
2 tsp. garlic powder, separated
2 ½ oz. or half a bag turkey pepperoni
1 ½ c. part skim shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add tomato sauce, paste and half of seasonings to small sauce pan. Simmer on low heat for 10–15 minutes until it reduces.
- Trim and butterfly chicken breasts. Then toss them into a gallon-sized Ziploc bag with the rest of the seasonings.
- Add half of the olive oil to a skillet. Add chicken and heat for 1–2 minutes per side. You don’t want to cook it through, but you want to brown the outside.
- As the pan gets dry and you use more chicken, add remaining olive oil.
- Grease smallest casserole dish that will hold all the chicken. You want it packed tightly. I used a 9×13 glass dish.
- Line chicken on bottom and add a dollop of reduced sauce to each piece.
- Top with turkey pepperoni and then with mozzarella like you’re making tiny chicken pizzas, because you are.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes or until cheese is browning and chicken is cooked through (juices run clear).
Yield: 6 servings; Serving size: 1/6 of recipe
Calories: 476; Fat 16g; Carbohydrates: 10g; Protein: 73g
November 18, 2019
November 12, 2019
October 18, 2019