Know the signs and prevent pneumonia
Pneumonia is a lung infection that inflames the air sacs in your lungs and fills them with fluid. It’s a serious and sometimes fatal condition that is especially dangerous for young children and adults over age 65.
Common pneumonia symptoms include:
- Cough that produces mucus or pus
- Chest pain when breathing or coughing
- Shortness of breath, fever, chills and fatigue
- Due to lack of oxygen, fingers and lips may appear bluish
- Older adults sometimes experience confusion
Don’t wait to call your doctor if you have difficulty breathing, chest pain or a high fever over 102°F. Pneumonia prevention includes getting a vaccine, thorough hand washing and not smoking. Vaccines are available at Marshall Pharmacy (304-691-6879/MURx), open 24/7, 365 days a year, and Marshall Family Medicine (304-691-1100).
December 21, 2020
October 09, 2020
September 04, 2020