Winter Skin Tips
As winter approaches, I hear many complaints about dry skin. This happens even to patients who typically have combination to oily skin. Many patients are dehydrated. The most common reason is exposure to cold, dry air. Using hot water in the shower also over dries your skin.
Drinking water throughout the day and having a healthy diet rich in vegetables and fruits are great habits for overall health including your skin. Eliminating processed foods also improves skin health, especially for those dealing with acne.
Here are some of my favorite skin care products for winter:
- I use Avene Cleansing Foam for cleansing morning and night. For those with more sensitive and compromised skin, Avene Tolerance Extremely Gentle Cleanser has a milky lotion consistency that will not dry out your skin.
- Marshall Ultra-Hydrating Serum is a long-time favorite of our patients. It binds moisture to your skin to help it stay hydrated and plump and is wonderful for all skin types
- After the ultra-hydrating serum, Avene Skin Recovery Cream is a daily moisturizer to apply to lock in that moisture. It is amazing for irritated skin. When facial masks became a normal part of my uniform, my skin was very irritated and dry. I also had a lot of breakouts, and this product really saved the day for me. It acts as a great skin barrier for mask wearing, but also a great moisturizer for most skin types. This has always helped me through the winter months when skin gets flakey and dry.
- Even in the winter, sunscreen is still recommended. EltaMD Sunscreen can be applied over moisturizer. It is a great facial sunscreen that does not clog the pores, is not thick and does not leave behind a white residue. There is also a tinted version.
- My latest find is Avene Cicalfate Restorative Lip Cream. If you get chapped or dry lips, this is a must have! It is so soothing and perfect for your on-the-go bag.
- For a weekly treatment, pick up our Avene Soothing Radiance Mask. This is a deep hydrating mask that I use in many of our facials when patients are dealing with dehydration or over-stressed skin. It instantly soothes and calms the skin and can be used as often as needed. I generally recommend using twice a week. I have even slept with this mask on, and it makes a big difference.
- If you come in for facial services, consider adding on a HydroJelly Mask for only an additional $10. These masks are a huge hit in our office! They are made with natural organic ingredients,and are very hydrating.
I hope these winter skin tips help you stay hydrated during the colder months. We would love to see you and your friends at Marshall Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. Give us a call at 304-691-8910.
January 07, 2022
January 03, 2022
November 22, 2021