Heart Healthy Recipe – Mexican Two-Bean Chicken Chili
Heather Aulick, DNP, RN, FNP-BC, likes this recipe because it is high in fiber and protein, and it is a good dietary choice.
MEXICAN TWO-BEAN CHICKEN CHILI
- 2 Cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 jar (16oz) thick and chunky mild salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped (about 1 ¼ cups/300 mL)
- 1½ cups rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 1½ cups rinsed and drained canned pinto beans
- 1 cup drained canned whole kernel corn
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1½ – 2 tbsp chill powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
Optional toppings such as sheered cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, sliced green onions or fresh cilantro leaves.
- Combine broth, salsa and tomato sauce in (4-qt./3.8-L) Casserole. Add zucchini, beans, corn, chicken, pressed garlic, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with spoon.
- Ladle chili into bowls. Top with desired toppings.
- Hot salsa to replace adding more salt (Optional)
10 cups/2.4 L
6 servings of 1 2/3 cups/400 mL (excluding optional ingredients)
Nutrients per Serving:
Calories 300. Total Fat 7g. Saturated Fat 1.5 g. Cholesterol 60mg. Sodium 1620mg. Carbohydrate 32 g. Fiber 9 g. Protein 29g.
Celebrate Nutrition Month with New Recipes
March 23, 2023
Learning CPR can save a life
February 13, 2023
Chia Pudding Recipe
July 14, 2022